Every business has an environmental and ethical impact: a small independent design business is no different. Plus of course creating jewelry has its own special environmental and ethical considerations.
If we expect big businesses and governments to make changes to help make the world a better place, then we believe that even small businesses and individuals need to play a part as well.
We do our very best to play a part in making things better and strive to improve where we can.
How we make a difference
Here is a rundown of how Simone Walsh Jewelry aims to make a contribution towards a better world:
- The majority of our jewelry designs are created with recycled precious metals, which are refined and of excellent quality.
- All scrap metal left over from creating our jewelry is collected for recycling. Gold and silver scrap is ultimately melted down, refined and reused again and again.
- Simone creates some recycled handmade jewelry designs which are specifically intended to recycle as much scrap metal as possible so that only small pieces are refined, further reducing the environmental impact.
- When selecting chemicals to use in our business we always opt for a safer and/or lower impact alternative when available.
- We use gemstones in our jewelry designs, however, for stones which may otherwise have a high value and cannot be guaranteed to come from an ethical source, we try instead to source lab grown gemstones as an alternative. Lab grown stones have none of the potential ethical or environmental issues that mined stones do. They have a beautiful clarity and colour, yet are far less expensive to use. We do use natural gemstones as well, but generally less expensive ones which have fewer ethical issues associated with them.
- Simone Walsh Jewelry recycles all recyclable materials generated by our business, such as paper and plastic. We also use recycled products when possible.
- As our jewelry business has grown, we have partnered with an ethically-run jewellery workshop in Indonesia to keep up with production demands and enable us to make our intricate designs possible with the assistance of skilled local artisans.